The Metanet Weekly Music Trading Thread

Share and discuss music, artists, and the audiophile culture.
Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2011.01.16 (04:12)

I'm a windbag:

Artist: Autechre
Album: Amber (2005)
Genre: Electronic
Rec'd by: bobaganuesh_2
Rating: 5/10
Review:
I suppose this is pretty standard fare for Electronica. I didn't find anything particularly impressive or even all that enjoyable about this album, but it's by no means awful. I know there are people who really enjoy this kind of music with no excitement, no emotionally stimulating content, and borderline-obnoxious repetition, but I am not one of those people. Nonetheless, I would still probably mention this album to a friend who is into boring music Electronica, with the disclaimer that I don't fully understand what constitutes "good" electronic music. At the very least, it's better than most electronic music I've heard, so if that's your schtick, give this album a try.
For the most part, the tracks in this album seem to be a short clip of very pleasant ambient music looped repeatedly, played by a DJ who fell asleep on the sound effects conole; each song has its own little sound effect which repeats throughout the entire track. Listening to the first 10 seconds of any given track will effectively expose you to it in its entirety. In some cases, the piercing blips and beeps and laser noises are enough to make the track impossible to enjoy, but in others the result was actually pretty cool. Many of these songs had a kind of cheesy 80's synth-pop feel to them or didn't know whether they should be adrenaline-pumping or (I shudder to use the following word, but it captures my meaning best) "chill", and in these cases the resulting sound is discordant and annoying. Some others would be excellent music if they were building up to something powerful, but never do. A good few had fade-outs longer than a minute, which I find distasteful.

Notes on specific tracks:

(Track 2) Montreal: This has great potential for light & easy city music, if not for the rattling noise (which is the sound effects button the DJ is leaning on throughout this particular song). Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be able te decide at times whether it wants to be mysterious and suspenseful or easy listening.

(Track 3) Silverside: Starts with melancholy space music, which I have a certain amount of appreciation for, and lasts up to a minute before the sound effects ruin it, but before that, it'd be fine music to have in the background while doing homework or something. About 90 seconds in, there's a beat that comes in which would be far more appropriate for more active music but is out of place in this track. I could sort of see myself driving at night with this on. Not really, though.

(Track 4) Slip: This is cheesy, low-budget 90's "futuristic city" music. It reminds me SimCopter.

(Track 7) Nine: An excellent example of a pleasant, melancholy track that's ruined by high-pitched blips and beeps.

(Track 8) Furthur: An excellent example of music which would be excellent if it built up to something heavy, but never does. This reminded me of a similar-sounding track which does build up to something, and I invite you to compare the two: Furthur versus UT3's Outpost (which picks up around 1:00, again at 1:40, and then again at 2:08). I can only imagine this being cave-exploration music in an 80's movie.

(Track 9) Yulquen: This would be perfect as the background music for a temple or other place of peace in a Final Fantasy game for the SNES, or maybe the Lost City of Ancients in Final Fantasy VII.

(Track 10) Nil: Would make a fine intro to some hardstyle or something. I could see myself taking a late-night drive with this in the background.

(Track 11) Teartear: Seems to be an experimental track; the structure gradually breaks down over time, ending up pretty schizophrenic at the 2/3 mark. I would argue that this is a failed experiment, but some more musically-inclined people might find this nifty.

EDIT: Oh, and put me down for next week, as well, please. But whoever I trade with, please give me something other than electronica.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.01.16 (06:49)

REVIEWED.
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (1970) [rock]
Recommended by: rocket_thumped
"Reviewed" by: ortsz

The Beatles were catchy as fuck. I'm no über-fan, but I know that right off the top of my head I could sing or hum every song on Revolver. Quality hooks were the band's stock and trade—not just on the Lennon-McCartney numbers, but on Harrison's as well. Unfortunately, his first solo release does not continue this trend.

What All Things Must Pass lacks in quality it attempts to makes up for in sheer quantity, which is regrettable because the mammoth length of this triple album (close to two hours) only exacerbates the monotony. The questionable production doesn't help either (feel free to insert your own joke about Phil Spector having murdered the album here). There are a few highlights (my favourite is probably Art of Dying) but on the whole it's a plodding affair.

The above criticisms don't quite apply to the last five tracks, however. This half-hour of instrumentals features the vigour that has been so absent from much else of All Things Must Pass. Unfortunately, four meandering jams are not valid substitutes for real songs.

The bottom line is that All Things Must Pass is actually a pretty good album. It's also several more not-very-good albums.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/bobaganuesh_2

Postby bobaganuesh_2 » 2011.01.16 (09:44)

Artist: Rammstein
Album: Reise, Reise (2004)
Genre: Metal
Recommended by: Tsukatu
Rating: 7/10 at the moment
Review:

Rammstein's Reise, Reise hit me like a brick wall and didn't stop: half of the tracks bring forth brash and powerful instruments insinuated with subtle lyrics referencing sociopolitical troubles in Russia and the United States and one's motivation to be a willing victim of cannibalism. The remaining songs are "softer", although they definitely continue the album's overall attitude, via the lust for carnage and homicidal delusion. Decrepritness, self-loathing, and mortal terror succumb to the wonders of Satan, Mickey Mouse, and destruction: "You are what you eat, from your teeth to your mutilated penis." I supposed the cameos of Lenin and the Dalai Lama serve some purpose of furthering the message, and I appreciate the somewhat simple and metaplorical attempt on Rammstein's behalf to actually say something without sounding like dicks. The album questions what it means to be without something, i.e the suffix "-less", and what constutes progress in a relationship. Or at least that's what I take from the initial listening. It seems that Rammstein certainly knows how to structure their work; the tracks flow gracefully, like a chainsaw flying through a flock of soccer moms.

If I knew anything about metal at all, I probably say that this album capitulates the genre's ability to synthesize the world's problems into a reason for pursuing an ethos that is an alternative to man's "rational" being. Uh, yeah. Clearly I cannot uncover the deeper levels of the lyrics in a 3:00 a.m. rush.

Favourite track would have to be "Moskau", since it's catchy as hell and if I could understand Russian I would be aroused by the female back-up vocalist's description of Moscow designated as a prostitute giving me a blowjob. Also, the first song sounds like The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner played by kaisers in a heaven sent apocalypse. It's just amazing, that's all I can say.

Tanner: Next week is a go.

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.16 (15:04)

Week 2 Trades:

SlappyMcGee <-> Tsukatu
gloomp <-> Stephen
Aphex <-> rocket_thumped
PALEMOON <-> RandomDigits
maestro <-> toasters
squibbles <-> nevada
krusch <-> kamikaze3000
Donfuy <-> Tanner
yungerkid <-> Universezero
bobaganuesh_2 <-> Skyline

Note to slackers: some people need to post a review up in this bitch.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Sunset » 2011.01.16 (16:27)

Oh, thanks for putting me on the list.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Yahoozy
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby  yahoozy » 2011.01.16 (18:43)

Day late, but I did only get to listen to the album yesterday night. Here's my review:

Artist: Mississippi John Hurt
Album: Avalon Blues: The Complete 1928 OKeh Recordings
Genre: Blues
Recommended by: Tanner
Review:

I've looked at some reviews for Mississippi John Hurt's 1996 compilation album of songs recorded in 1928. John is a blues man, but there isn't a lot of pain in his voice, and his guitar-playing is light and often cheery. There's a semi-consensus that the artist and his music, influential as it was, may at first listen be underwhelming. This isn't the case. Throughout the entire album, I was in absolute awe at this music's modest beauty. Every note and chord, recorded in 1928, sounded revolutionary, and its influence was immediately grasped. This album isn't about being revolutionary, though. More than it's a piece of American history, it's a slice of life. It's the simple observations of a man manifesting itself in a few earnest words and a few plucked notes. I can keep this review relatively short - the album speaks for itself.

Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby rocket_thumped » 2011.01.16 (19:30)

Artist: Starscream
Album: Future, and It Doesn't Work
Genre: Chiptune
RC: maestro

I have no experience with Chiptune at all. I've never been much drawn to the 8-bit sound. Mostly because it sounds soul-less and empty to me. While I think a lot of Future, and It Doesn't Work fits into this mindless generalization by me, the last two songs go a long way to changing my opinion. Kepler's Star Catalog and the title track are something else, you can feel that there's something behind the music. The album it's self does well in fitting to the space theme. I'd suppose that if you were a fan of the genre you would be a fan of Starscream as well.

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2011.01.16 (19:34)

Sign me up for week 3, please.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/skyline356

Postby Skyling » 2011.01.17 (05:07)

Artist: The Dismemberment Plan
Album: Emergency & I
Genre: "Post-hardcore, Indie rock" (???)
Recommended by: toasters

Exciting little album of thick angular guitar lines and crisp drums and some keyboarding in the background. Very direct, straight ahead rock with a surprising amount of variation throughout. Midway through downer The Jitters caught my attention immediately with its softer 5/4 introspection in the middle of such an energetic record. Lyrics are very creative and figurative yet straightforward, especially the story-telling in You Are Invited. The album as a whole has a very distinct personality that remains in my head more clearly than the individual songs.

Cool! I'll probably listen to this again at some point.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rincewindsw

Postby Stephen » 2011.01.18 (02:45)

Sorry I'm a wee bit late, I've had a ludicrously busy week, let it not appear that I'm uncommitted to the thread!

Artist: Fantômas
Album: Suspended Animation (2005)
Genre: Experimental cartoon metal ???
Rec'd by: RandomDigits

Review: Suspended Animation is an album conceived by Mike Patton, and, if you've heard any of his music beyond Faith No More, you'll know that this album's balls-to-the-wall insanity is pretty much standard fare for him. The record is full of too-brief metal riffs interspersed with cartoon noises, changing its tempos, tones, instrumentation, and genre too fast for you to get a grasp of any of it. Which isn't really a criticism because it's clear that Patton's main goal is to disorientate thus. It could have been more successful if Patton were as much of a genius as he seems to think he is. The song threads fall apart before the ideas are fleshed-out, and Patton doesn't really make the most of his best asset, his chameleonic voice; he mostly just imitates the guitar riffs (which still sounds kinda cool). Had I come across this album before I became desensitised to weird music I'd have enjoyed it a lot more, and although the album is still enjoyably unique, and mostly technically impressive, its structurelessness makes it forgettable but for its concept.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.01.22 (14:14)

SONGS MEAN A LOT WHEN SONGS ARE BOUGHT AND SO ARE YOU.
Rocket from the Crypt - Group Sounds (2001) [alternative rock]
Recommended by: toasters
"Reviewed" by: ortsz

In brief: I listened to Group Sounds a couple of times and enjoyed it, but I probably won't listen to it again. The guitars sound aggressive but the music is lacking in dynamics. I'm not particularly enamoured with the guy's voice. There are some horns but not enough. Still, it's a solid album and I would recommend it to people who like this sort of thing—and a lot of people like this sort of thing. I like this sort of thing, sort of.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Plus (Size) Member
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/lsudny
MBTI Type: ISFP

Postby lsudny » 2011.01.22 (16:08)

I'm in for the next week, I'll try.
soundcloud | facebook

That is why I decline the title of Iron Cook and accept only the lesser title of Zinc Saucier, which I just made up. Also, it comes with double prize money!

Tetris
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/mauve

Postby mauve » 2011.01.22 (16:42)

I would like to participate.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2011.01.22 (17:44)

Artist: cLOUDDEAD
Album: cLOUDDEAD
Genre: Hip Hop
Rec'd by: Stephen

Why do people keep giving me long albums? I mean, this is certainly nowhere near as bad as last week, but I'm still kind of annoyed. This is also, once again, music from a genre I have roughly zero experience in. This time, it's experimental hip-hop. Notably, unlike psytrace, this is a genre I /have/ been interested in investigating, just never got around to.

Unlike last week, though, I like this album. It's full of atmosphere and surreal rapping, two things I definitely enjoy. I probably won't listen to this again anytime soon, but
it's cool. I feel like this review is half-baked and kind of awful, but that's really all that seems worth noting.

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2011.01.22 (17:55)

Sorry for the footnotes; I'm just in that kind of mood.
Artist: The Beach Boys
Album: Smiley Smile
Genre: Psychedelic pop
Rec'd by: rocket_thumped
Rating: 7/10
Review: The track "Wind Chimes" and the cover of the album pretty much highlight the entire album for me. The vocals are strangely haunting, the low production creates an intimate feeling*, yet the music's constant shifts** create something which feels like a thunder cloud on the horizon of a sunny day in June. I personally loved this album; I was extremely surprised by its depth and it's haunting atmosphere***. Go listen to "Wind chimes". If you like that, you'll like this album.

* Which is what I feel the cover reflects, with a house sheltered from the world...
** From major to minor, or calm to intense (at one point a horn appears on "wind chimes" which came so suddenly I jumped)
*** I had assumed this was going to be just some feel-good-60's-pop

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/RandomDigits
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby RandomDigits » 2011.01.22 (23:34)

Ugh, my head...
Album: These Hopeful Machines
Artist: BT
Genre: Electronica
Recommended by: PALEMOON
Album: now playing
RandomDigits: now writing.

----

These Hopeful Machines by BT which is primarily an album of electronic music feels like party music because it makes me feel like I'm at a party, which I'm not, but if I closed my eyes, I might be fooled into thinking I'm at a party right now and I think that might be a sign of insanity, which would kind of suck because I like being sane and I don't really think feeling like getting up and dancing qualifies as a sign of insanity unless there's no music playing (but I'm not insane). And I'm sure I'm listening to this right now.
This is only my second time listening to it because it is so long that I feel scared of listening to the whole album in one sitting, which is how I generally like to listen to music, and I don't like interrupting an album in the middle, although, this is actually two discs so that's probably a really good place to take a break now that I think this through again because BT no doubt took that into account when he was making the album way back in 2009 in preparation for its February 2, 2010 release.
Several of the tracks on this album have vocals, some male and some female. Some songs have more of a rock vibe. There are many instruments used here, I especially liked the first three or four songs, and the second last two. The last song is a cover of The Ghost in You by The Psychedelic Furs. BT kept the title the same because that's what you do when you do a cover.
Although I don't listen to much music like this, this does remind me of a Turkish musician named Tarkan. I like his music so that's nice. I have no idea what precise genre of electronic dance music this is though. I might not listen to this often, but I'm certain I will listen to it again. But not all the way through in one sitting.
End of album,
End of review,
Back to my headache now.

~ardee~
Please put me in that list thing at the very bottom of your first post, Tanner.
Image by ChrisE.
Rest of sig by RandomDigits.
bandcamp
deviantART

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.22 (23:47)

RandomDigits wrote:Please put me in that list thing at the very bottom of your first post, Tanner.
I don't actually update that list throughout the week anymore because it caused more problems than it solved but I have added you to the master list along with the others.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/bobaganuesh_2

Postby bobaganuesh_2 » 2011.01.23 (07:00)

Artist: Ornette Coleman
Album: The Shape of Jazz to Come (1959)
Genre: Jazz
Recommended by: Skyline

I ain't exactly a connoisseur of jazz, so I'm not at all familiar with the technical conventions. I'll do my best to articulate my feedback of this album.

The first track sounds of aggravation: the mournful discord reminds me of certain tunes from the audio score of Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing. The next track is more upbeat and frivolous: it brings to mind '50s slang such as "wowee!", "jive!", and "swell!" The brass instruments sound like they're playing an ecstatic and hyper-excited form of the game Marco Polo, each calling out with barely-contained enthusiasm to each other through the majority of the song. "Peace", the third song on the album, is slow and thoughtful, like three schmucks digging around for chump change in couches at a couch store so they can later purchase coffee. Track 4, "Focus on Sanity", drags on lazily until the 2:30 mark when it suddenly picks up, then slows down a bit to set up a jumbled percussion solo that closes the song. The fifth track is a cheerful song that only down a few times to thrust onwards again. The final song called "Chronology" provides a relaxing and satisfying closure to album.

This is a good release, I think. I'd be willing to listen to it again in the future.

With a cow, closer than you think.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/krusch
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby krusch » 2011.01.23 (08:03)

Nothing personal, kami. I just didn't like it. :(
Artist: The New Regime
Album: Coup
Genre: Rock
Rec'd by: kamikaze3,000,000,000
Rating: 2/5

The first thing I noticed about "Coup" was of course that it used the same cover art as Have a Nice Life's "Deathconsciousness". Funnily enough, they were both debut albums, and they both came out in 2008. The second thing I noticed, as I listened to "The Collapse", the album opener, was that when Ilan Rubin made this album he obviously had a decent financial backing. The production is very clean, crisp and "refined". Not really my cup of tea in terms of rock production values, in other words. "The Collapse" was one of the few tracks on this album I didn't mind, though, the introduction being quite listenable. Unfortunately the chorus melody was far too triumphant, poppy, generic to really do it for me, and this problem continued throughout the album. I could hear a clear pop-punk/emo influence in "Coup" (another similarity to "Deathconsciousness"), and I would put my chips on Rubin being a Muse fan. Fast forward to the sixth track, "Time Erase" and you'll hear what I mean. This was the other track on "Coup" that I didn't mind so much. The melody had some depth to it, but again that production bothered me. I think this would have sounded much better played either on an obviously acoustic piano, or an obviously synthetic piano. I found the instruments and sounds in this album lacking in character, the lyrics uninspired, and any attempts at evocation of atmosphere or mood absent. As such, I found this listening experience rather forgettable, and I've not really anything to say about the other eight tracks on this album.

With all that said, props to this guy. "Coup" was a solo project. Ilan Rubin did all the instrumentation and vocals himself, which is an impressive feat at 20, I suppose. I still can't help but feel that this guy is like the Miley Cyrus of this slightly alternative rock sub-genre (ignore any reviews calling this prog-rock - they are silly and left me disappointed), by which I mean it seems he has an easy job releasing records due to those around him (he drums for Nine Inch Nails now) and solid financial backing. Perhaps I am just jealous. I'm sure this album would appeal to a wide audience. Unfortunately, I'm just not in that audience. I'm outside the building, lying in the gutter, on heroin. Derp.
Alternatively, have a Markov chained version:
h, I found this guy. "Coup" (another words. "The Collapse" was of course that production is like the album he obviously had some depth to it, but again that production is very clean, crisp and "refined". Not really my cup of tea in this slightly alternative rock sub-genre (ignore anything to say about the obviously had a decent financial backing. The second thing to say about "Coup" that I mean. This albums, and I would have sounds in terms of tea in the gutter, on heroin. Derp.gime
Genre (ignore any reviews calling think this problem continued this listened to "The New Regime
Rec'd by: kamikaze3,000,000

The first think this was the obviously synthetic piano, or an impressive feat at 20, I suppose. I found the instrumentation of atmosphere both came out in that audience. I'm just not really and I would hear a clear poppy, generic to really and left me disappointed), by which I mean. The production and this guy is like the Miley Cyrus of rock sub-genre (ignore any attempts at evocation of atmosphere or me, and they both came out in 2008. The sixth tracks on this guy. "Coup" that it for Nine Inch Nails now) and you'll hear what I didn't mind so much. The second thing I noticed, as I listening I noticed about in 2008. The melody was that think this album.

With all the instruments at evocation being a Muse fan. Fast forward to the silly do it forward to "The Collapse" was one of the few tracks on Rubin being quite listened to "Deathconsciousness". Funnily enough, the gutter, the lyrics uninspired, and I've not really my cup of tea in terms of rock production bother on an obviously synthetic piano, or an impressive feat at 20, I suppose. I found the same cover art as Have a Nice Life's "Deathconsciousness"), and this listened to "The New Regime

The first thing I noticed, as I listenable, and throughout the instruments and you'll hear a clear pop-punk/emo influence in "Coup

The first thing I noticed, as I listened to "Deathconsciousness". Funnily enough, they were both debut albums, and they both came out in character, the lyrics uninspired, and the same cover art as I listenable, and any attempts and so much. The Collapse", the album would appeal to a wide the sixth track, "Time Erase" and you'll hear a clean, crisp and left me disappointed), by which I mean it seems he obvi

Maxwell Smart
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/kamikaze3000
MBTI Type: ESTJ

Postby kamikaze3000 » 2011.01.23 (11:52)

entwilight wrote:Nothing personal, kami. I just didn't like it. :(
Artist: The New Regime
Rec'd by: kamikaze3,000,000,000

The first thing I noticed about "Coup" was of course that it used the same cover art as Have a Nice Life's "Deathconsciousness". Funnily enough, they were both debut albums, and they both came out in 2008. The second thing I noticed, as I listened to "The Collapse", the album opener, was that when Ilan Rubin made this album he obviously had a decent financial backing. The production is very clean, crisp and "refined". Not really my cup of tea in terms of rock production values, in other words. "The Collapse" was one of the few tracks on this album I didn't mind, though, the introduction being quite listenable. Unfortunately the chorus melody was far too triumphant, poppy, generic to really do it for me, and this problem continued throughout the album. I could hear a clear pop-punk/emo influence in "Coup" (another similarity to "Deathconsciousness"), and I would put my chips on Rubin being a Muse fan. Fast forward to the sixth track, "Time Erase" and you'll hear what I mean. This was the other track on "Coup" that I didn't mind so much. The melody had some depth to it, but again that production bothered me. I think this would have sounded much better played either on an obviously acoustic piano, or an obviously synthetic piano. I found the instruments and sounds in this album lacking in character, the lyrics uninspired, and any attempts at evocation of atmosphere or mood absent. As such, I found this listening experience rather forgettable, and I've not really anything to say about the other eight tracks on this album.

With all that said, props to this guy. "Coup" was a solo project. Ilan Rubin did all the instrumentation and vocals himself, which is an impressive feat at 20, I suppose. I still can't help but feel that this guy is like the Miley Cyrus of this slightly alternative rock sub-genre (ignore any reviews calling this prog-rock - they are silly and left me disappointed), by which I mean it seems he has an easy job releasing records due to those around him (he drums for Nine Inch Nails now) and solid financial backing. Perhaps I am just jealous. I'm sure this album would appeal to a wide audience. Unfortunately, I'm just not in that audience. I'm outside the building, lying in the gutter, on heroin. Derp.
Sorry that you didn't like it. I really like this album but feel bad that you didn't get to review something you liked. Good review though :D
Artist: Talk Talk
Album: Laughing Stock
Genre: Ambient/Experimental Rock/*insert other genre here*
Rec'd by: krusch
Rating: 8/10

I'm no music reviewer, and usually pretty awful with the English language too, so I can't begin to describe why Laughing Stock is what it is. But it is, and it works!
This album has got better each time I've listened to it, and each time there are small details I notice that add to how wonderful this album is. Go listen to it now!

With a cow, closer than you think.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/krusch
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby krusch » 2011.01.23 (12:46)

Hey, no need to feel bad. That's the nature of this thing. I was in exactly the same position last week with gloomp. :)

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.23 (14:26)

Week 3 Trades:

SlappyMcGee <-> toasters
gloomp <-> Donfuy
Aphex <-> nevada
PALEMOON <-> Stephen
maestro <-> Uropterygius
squibbles <-> Tanner
rocket_thumped <-> RandomDigits
entwilight <-> bobaganuesh_2
lsydny <-> mauve

Signed up for next week: SlappyMcGee, gloomp, Aphex, PALEMOON, oughts, squibbles, rocket_thumped, nevada, Stephen, entwilight, Donfuy, toasters.

Maxwell Smart
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/kamikaze3000
MBTI Type: ESTJ

Postby kamikaze3000 » 2011.01.23 (14:37)

Sign me up for next week please. I'll probably go for every other week or something like that

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/toasters
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby toasters » 2011.01.23 (15:30)

Artist: ミドリ
Album: あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。
Genre: noise rock
Rec'd by: maestro
Rating: 6/10
Review: ミドリ or Midori practice a brand of audio violence similar to Melt-Banana, but instead of stitching together dissonant metal riffs Midori layers honky tonk piano over noisy punk rock. The results end up being much more listenable than Melt-Banana ever are, especially the longer songs where more emphasis is put on the bass and piano, but it's still not something most people would enjoy. I'm sure seeing these guys live would be a blast though. All in all not something I'd listen to very often, but good when I'm in the mood for it.
------------------------------------------------------------
/////////////////////// solar beats ///////////////////////
------------------------------------------------------------

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2011.01.23 (17:04)

toasters wrote:Artist: ミドリ
Album: あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。
Genre: noise rock
Rec'd by: maestro
Rating: 6/10
Review: ミドリ or Midori practice a brand of audio violence similar to Melt-Banana, but instead of stitching together dissonant metal riffs Midori layers honky tonk piano over noisy punk rock. The results end up being much more listenable than Melt-Banana ever are, especially the longer songs where more emphasis is put on the bass and piano, but it's still not something most people would enjoy. I'm sure seeing these guys live would be a blast though. All in all not something I'd listen to very often, but good when I'm in the mood for it.
Ahah, I rec'd that album to r_t!