Folk and Country

Share and discuss music, artists, and the audiophile culture.
Antagonistic Fencesitter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/KinGAleX

Postby KinGAleX » 2008.09.28 (15:21)

The topic of this is simple. What light can anyone shed on the differences between subjective popular music genres folk and country? Themes are often similar, instrumentation is similar to identical, musical elements such as timbre, texture, and harmony are often extremely similar also.

What is it that makes this James Taylor album I have either country or folk? I feel it could go either way, since I like the type of American country music that leans towards folk; or is it American folk music that leans towards country?

And then if you try to add alt-country into the equation as well, it could perhaps even just as easily be called folk rock. I know a local band, The Gin Club, who identify themselves as folk and country and rock, but my mates would call anything from alt-country to indie rock.

Just thought it was a somewhat interesting topic. Any comments would be appreciated!
* Sig provided by Steve.
* Avatar manufactured by LittleViking.
More relevant images!

spect - There are more posts like this and it's like posting "I don't have any pie." in a Pie Forum.

With a cow, closer than you think.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/krusch
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby krusch » 2008.09.28 (15:52)

I think it goes something like this.

There are musical "elements" associated with each genre, for example, the wah-wah guitar effect can be associated with funk music, and growl vocals however can be associated with death metal. Much of modern music is difficult to classify because in a given piece, there is often a multitude of these "elements" at work at the same time, associated with as many different genres. This is also why musical styles can "evolve", I think. Some single "elements" are also associated with multiple genres, and some music contains elements which bear no association to any known genre at all. Another major factor affecting the categorisation of music is that the elements that define a given genre are not standardised at all.

I could and should elaborate, but again, I'm too tired.

Doublemember
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/bigblargh/
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby Bigblargh » 2008.09.28 (16:44)

Shoot, man. I think it's a venn diagram scenario here.
I think country is a little more constricted to its own kind of sound, with guitar and great vocal harmonies— you know what comes to mind. Folk is often in the same vein, but it also is all the camp songs you know, it's the songs the colonial slaves would sing, and it's the song your grandma used to lullaby you with. It's free and it has tradition.
I'm tempted to look it up on Wikipedia, but that's cheating.
A BIGGER BLARGH THAN BEFORE A BIGGER BLARGH THAN BEFORE
A BIGGER BLARGH THAN BEFORE A BIGGER BLARGH THAN BEFORE

King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/Weisslenny0
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Lenny » 2008.09.29 (10:30)

It seems that Folk music is more based on "traditional music" - the sort of 400-year Scottish jigs that you hear... Greensleeves, and stuff like that.
Then again:
[quote=Wikipedia]Country music... has roots in traditional folk music...[/quote]
So who knows?

I always see Country music as... we,, people from the country singing stuff. Usually with either a banjo or guitar - though they are also used in other genres.

I think it's really very blurry, but I'd say Folk is traditional stuff, and Country is modern... but the same stuff.
ImageImageImage
<&Yanni> I've had an ambient song like this playing for a couple hours,
<&Yanni> Oh no wait that is MY AIR CONDITIONER

-----
<@Animator> :::: Techno was killed by a better music genre.
-----
<SouthyMcGee> Music is auditory art. What art is a different argument.
----
<&sforzando> Alright, no 247MHz for you.

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).

Can the real Dave Simpson please stand up? Sit down, Grant.

Postby Borealis » 2008.09.30 (23:56)

Whenever I see folk music I tend to think of it as an international thing, folk music can be inspired by traditional music from any culture. Of course there is the other definition, that folk is the music of the people. Of course in the case of the USA it's blues. Whereas to me country has very defined bourdaries, tending to associate it somewhat stereotypically with the image of banjo-playing, tobacco-chewing *citizens of the once-confederate states* (insert your own epithet). Where 'Folk' is used as a musical genre in my library at least, it tends to be associated with European and particularly Scandinavian folk music.

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2008.10.01 (01:42)

American country music seems to be much more specific than the folk genre. I think of folk as experimental, lending to cultural origins. I think of country as being something less innovative and more derivative. I suppose country bears those cultural roots, but it's so laden with marketing tactics and selling ideals (over making music) that it doesn't really count as folk.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (08:23)

blue_tetris wrote:I suppose country bears those cultural roots...
Odd, I always think of Folk music as having cultural music. Country music seems more new.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2008.10.02 (08:25)

Weisslenny0 wrote:
Odd, I always think of Folk music as having cultural music. Country music seems more new.
You need reading comprehension skills.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (09:47)

blue_tetris wrote:
Weisslenny0 wrote:
Huh. What am I saying?

Correction: I always thought of Folk music as being traditional music, like tunes passed down from generation to generation. I think of Country music as newer music - music being written now involving a quartet of banjos and several kazoos.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Antagonistic Fencesitter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/KinGAleX

Postby KinGAleX » 2008.10.02 (09:58)

Lenny, I'm not talking about traditional folk music, rather the more contemporary folk genre. Not folk tunes, like Ring a Ring a Rosy. Bob Dylan.
* Sig provided by Steve.
* Avatar manufactured by LittleViking.
More relevant images!

spect - There are more posts like this and it's like posting "I don't have any pie." in a Pie Forum.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (10:14)

KinGAleX wrote:Lenny, I'm not talking about traditional folk music, rather the more contemporary folk genre. Not folk tunes, like Ring a Ring a Rosy. Bob Dylan.
Oh. Well, there goes my argument.

Folk and Country aren't my most listened-to genres, but I've never seen too much difference between them. Anyways, I'll leave this topic to someone who knows a bit more about them.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/fingersonthefrets
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby fingersonthefrets » 2008.10.02 (14:37)

hm. i don't know why. but somehow in my mind the two are very different. i guess to me country is something like... higher pitched and sharper guitar.. more energy or something. nah thats not right. i can't explain it. but i'd say something is country or something is folk. mm (folk is such a bugger of a word to say out loud).

also, folk is often broadened to weird experimental stuff... so i'd assume that means that country is probably a category coming under folk. which i think has been said above.

yeah.
spoiler

Cool People: Pawz, Mr. Skylz, Lost, Minty, Seven_Two, Infernus, Corny, Lenny, George

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2008.10.02 (16:44)

blue_tetris wrote:
Weisslenny0 wrote:
In my post, I said that both folk and country have cultural roots and, moreover, those found in folk are more identifiable. You extracted a part of a sentence from what I said and took it to mean something not at all implied by that sentence: you figured I didn't think folk was traced back to cultural origins. Reading is fundamental!

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/wulfgang

Postby wolfgang » 2008.10.06 (12:29)

Well, I'll try and give a sort of musical analysis, but they are extremely similar genres and I'm hardly and expert in either so take this with a big grain of salt (think the size of an apple or so.)

I'd say country music generally has a slightly more biting guitar and especially the 'twang', whereas alot of folk is more lilting and softer. Country may have a stronger focus on rhythm than pure folk tracks, remembering that Dylan pioneered folk rock so he isn't completely indicative of the genre.
Both genres place a strong emphasis on story telling with their song writing.... Eh I can't really think of anything else, except that Country has its roots (hell there's another almost identical genre) in the USA while folk stems from all over the world.

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Atilla

Postby Atilla » 2008.10.06 (12:41)

Yeah, I thought country was a subset of folk. That is, folk is derived from traditional music in general, and country is derived from a specific tradition/group of traditions. I suspect they often sound similar to us because most of us folk live in Western countries and so the folk music we are exposed to often shares roots with country and western.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/skyline356
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Skyling » 2008.10.06 (21:00)

I think folk tends to be more intimate, personal, and rich than country. This is based on general connotations and the songs that come to my mind in particular for each genre.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Kablizzy » 2008.10.06 (23:31)

No, folk your country. >:(
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Orion_

Postby Broghan » 2008.10.08 (06:38)

Folk music lyrics seem to make less sense to me than country music. Well, I guess that you could say that country music is very simple in terms of lyricism; folk is more dense, usually.