The Astronomer's Welcome & Alien World

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

What is your favorite level (nonextension)

Abandoned Nuclear Facilities
19%
Valley
6%
Expedition Through an Urban Metropolis
6%
Nova
6%
Crystallized Titanium
13%
Plumes
No votes
Silkscreen Dragons
No votes
Sky Scraper
No votes
Gleam
No votes
And the Rock Cried Out
6%
When the Powerlines Went Out
No votes
City Perpendicular to the Ground
No votes
Foreign Mining
No votes
The Midnight Watchman's Shift
6%
Mountain Climb
No votes
Blocky Robotics
13%
Limestone Castle
No votes
I got Sunburnt in the Shade
13%
Yew
No votes
The Astronomer's Welcome
13%

Total votes: 16

Boeing Boeing Bone!

Postby Amadeus » 2009.02.01 (00:14)

Heres my mappack, The Astronomer's Welcome, with 20 maps and 10 neverbefore seen levels
The Astronomer's Welcome.txt
v1.0 - 32 downloads
v1.1
(28.06 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
EDIT: Changed the trapdoor placement in The Rock Cried Out, added an exit to Rearden Metal
EDIT: Plumes had a NaN error and I had incorrect code for Silkscreen Dragon
EDIT: Added an Extension, Alien World
Alien World.txt
v1.0 - 25 downloads
v1.1
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Last edited by Amadeus on 2009.02.03 (07:10), edited 4 times in total.

Boeing Boeing Bone!

Postby Amadeus » 2009.02.01 (21:07)

Love to see people look at this and point out their favorite maps
People write to me and say, "I’m giving up, you’re not talking to me." I just write them a simple message like, "Never give up," you know? And it changes their life
http://greenbrown.bandcamp.com

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/LouDog004

Postby LouDog004 » 2009.02.01 (21:34)

Abandoned Nuclear Facilities, Expedition Through an Urban Metropolis, Mountain Climb, Valley, and Blocky Robotics were cool.

The rest of the pack seemed very underdeveloped and unpolished.

And the Rock Cried Out is impossible I'm pretty sure.

Rearden. Metal. is just a tileset.

When the Powerlines Went Out was a cool idea.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PALEMOON Bad Thread
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PALEMOON » 2009.02.01 (21:38)

all of it together made a very weird and interesting trip. It was cool to go from completely developed map to an impossible map, and then from there a map with only a ninja and a door and then from there to a tileset and back again.

individually these are kind of underdeveloped but it was way cool to play them all in a row. a true 'episodic' experience

The Astronomer's Welcome is my favorite map from that

Boeing Boeing Bone!

Postby Amadeus » 2009.02.02 (00:02)

How is it impossible?

My error-it has been edited
People write to me and say, "I’m giving up, you’re not talking to me." I just write them a simple message like, "Never give up," you know? And it changes their life

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr

Postby Zephyr » 2009.02.04 (08:42)

Episode 0
Abandoned nuclear facility-Some mines made it too hard to get the switches and to the exit, apart from that, pretty nice 4/5
Valley-Great enemy placement and pretty much everything 4.5/5
Expedition through an urban metropolis-Tileset was a bit above average, enemy placement and gold was poor 3/5
Episode total-4/5

Episode 1
Nova-Tileset was above average, floorguards and chaingun didnt do much 3.5/5
Crystallized titanium-Pretty nice, the gold placement on the left was a bit wonky third from the left 4/5
Episode total-3.75/5

Episode 2
Plumes-Poor tileset and gold placement, gameplay was OK 2.5/5
Silkscreen Dragon-Rocket placement was alright, everything else was pretty bad 2/5
Episode total-2.25/5

Episode 3
Sky Scraper-Really cool concept, laser placement wasnt bad-3.75/5
Gleam-Simple and nice-3.75/5
Episode total-3.75/5

Episode 4
And the rock cried out-Palemoonish 4/5
When the powerlines went out-Launchpad placement was great, so were the lasers, the mines just felt a little spammed, you should have found a way to replace them with something else. 4/5
Episode total-4/5

Episode 5
Cast downward eyes-Tileset was ok 3/5
Rearden. Metal.-A bit better then the one before it 3.5/5
Episode total-3.25/5

Episode 6
City perpendicular to the ground-It seems impossible to me 2.5/5 (points off for impossibleness)
Foreign mining-I dont like these maps 2/5
Episode total-2.25/5

Episode 7
The midnight watchmans shift-Everything was pretty good 4/5
Mountain climb-Theres some pointless objects in there 3/5
Blocky robotics-Fun, tileset was a bit above average 4 3.5/5
Episode total-3.5

Episode 8
Limestone castle-Lasers didnt do much, you could have reduced mine usage-3.5
Episode total-3.5

Episode 9
I got sunburnt in the shade-Another cool concept, too easy though-3.5
Yew-I played this before! 2/5
Episode total-2.75

Episode 10
The Astronomers welcome-Dissapointment, the tileset was a bit strange, and the laser hardly did anything-2/5
Episode total-2/5

Grand total-3.5

Not bad for your first map pack, I might take a look at the expansion too.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention, the episodes were WAY too short
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Oops Pow Surprise
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/MyCheezKilledYours
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby Cheez » 2009.02.04 (23:11)

Pack was nice, others before me said what needed to be said.
Extension was good but short. :/
Botanic Garden is also incomplete. But I like Vineclimber. Nice and flowy.
| last.fm | NUMA | RYM |

<Torex> Is there any possible way for me to get mod-ship in the community?
<Izzy> You can be an FF6 Miniboss!

<@Izzy> van prefers it long.

<kuri> is your brother a guy cheez

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.02.04 (23:21)

I really like the idea for this poll. It goes well with presenting a pack.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Boeing Boeing Bone!

Postby Amadeus » 2009.02.05 (04:33)

Well, thanks everyone, especially Z3phyr for their feedback
I am not editing this one,as it will make life too confusing
however, I may come out with a second edition, featuring the best (as voted) from this pack, some personal favorites (all the kinks will be straightened out) and extra levels, including the extension

My latest map, 'Diamonds. Kill.' will also be added to probably the first episode
It can be found here: http://nmaps.net/156516

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr

Postby Zephyr » 2009.02.06 (09:19)

Dont worry, it was only because i was bored =)
I cant acess NUMA for some reason, so i cant really look at your latest map.
Looking forward to getting back to my pc and getting back into NUMA
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생