MRDR

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PALEMOON Bad Thread
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PALEMOON » 2009.05.14 (17:40)

Attachments
MRDR.txt
(89.89 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Last edited by PALEMOON on 2010.11.30 (03:40), edited 5 times in total.

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/exuberance

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.14 (18:05)

The level "Who are you, exacately?" is corrupted.
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
Comic Activity-O-Meter: (how often I'm updating my comic)
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
+ Loitering: Like comatose, but for short amount of times.
- Turtling (Loitering/Semi-Active): Really slooooww updates
+ Semi-Active: One every 2 weeks...ish?
- Quasi-Active (Semi-Active/Active): Averaging about 2 comics every 3 weeks
+ Active: Loosely defined status, but about a weekly update
- Over-Active (Active/Power-leveling): About 2 comics a week
+ Power-leveling: About 3 comics a week. Possible a schedule, possibly not
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Guitar_Hero_Matt

Postby MattKestrel » 2009.05.14 (18:06)

Wow. This... is... epic! I liked the postmodern-ness and progression a lot, but the really postmodern maps less so. But overall, this is truly unique in how it's set out, and the gameplay is expertly crafted. So yeah, kudos. I'd say more butt...

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.14 (18:15)

Are the levels in the right order? The numbers kind of jump around. It's a little confusing.
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/toasters

Postby toasters » 2009.05.14 (20:10)

GTM wrote:I'd say more butt...
Is that a request?
------------------------------------------------------------
/////////////////////// solar beats ///////////////////////

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PALEMOON Bad Thread

Postby PALEMOON » 2009.05.14 (20:30)

they are arranged in a special order. It should start with 00000 Power Button

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.14 (20:48)

Once You Collapse the Core is also corrupted. (NaN'd exit switch)

Exüberance on WoW

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Guitar_Hero_Matt

Postby MattKestrel » 2009.05.14 (21:34)

toasters wrote:
GTM wrote:I'd say more butt...
Is that a request?
Wait, what...

-_-

Yeah, definitely needs more butt, though.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2009.05.15 (02:23)

EDIT:

I really enjoyed this. About ten or so of those maps will probably end up in my userlevels, and the rest have a (cough) place in my heart. Seriously I loved the story aspect of it. That's not easy to pull off.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Damn You're Fine
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Leaff
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Leaff » 2009.05.23 (22:37)

Wow. These are great. I'm currently still playing them, I'll edit this when I'm done.
And the edit has come.
The progression between the levels is just AMAZING. Especially from 1: You Do Not Control The Wired and on through the end. They're all really stellar when put together, although some are just "meh" on their own.
Overall, this is outstanding. It'll stay in my userlevels for a while.

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/yungerkid
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby yungerkid » 2009.05.24 (04:52)

i loved the plot. it was very intriguing. the levels conformed to the plot very well. it had an interesting progression. great pack.

Jedi Pimp

Postby toasters » 2009.05.24 (19:36)

I've never been more engrossed in this game. The tiles, the atmosphere, the level progression, it's all so amazing. Individually some of the levels aren't as fun as one might expect from you, but the overall feel is fantastic. The plot is great too, simplistic enough to be represented through N, and yet it was tantalizing in a way that made my imagination go crazy. It's hard to explain, but it just seems like the storyline and this game were perfect parallels. I don't know how you manage to be such a prolific author and still produce such quality material. Awesome work.

Raigan and the Horse-Woman
Raigan and the Horse-Woman
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/sidke
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/shagdish

Postby sidke » 2009.05.24 (22:10)

I partook in this pack's beta.

11/10
spoiler

辻菜摘が好きじゃー ヽ(´ー`)ノ sig by peking duck

Donator
Donator
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/DW40

Postby DW40 » 2009.06.13 (22:04)

Masterpiece. Amazing. This pack was so much fun to play. The cyberghost fight was epic. Thanks for that amazing gaming experience.

Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby a happy song » 2009.06.13 (22:08)

This is brilliant.
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

Boeing Boeing Bone!

Postby Amadeus » 2009.07.17 (04:05)

It was similar to Metanet levels in that individually, the majority of maps are poor while when together, they form a decent pack. I really preferred LLL though, a lot of these levels just seemed, too...weird. They lacked the solid mechanics and aesthetics that many of your other maps have, and seemed to cling onto a clever storyline. Gratz for that, but I think the levels themselves just don't pull much weight.
People write to me and say, "I’m giving up, you’re not talking to me." I just write them a simple message like, "Never give up," you know? And it changes their life
http://greenbrown.bandcamp.com

Spoil-Sport
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/eganic
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby sheganican » 2009.07.17 (04:27)

Amadeus wrote:It was similar to Metanet levels in that individually, the majority of maps are poor while when together, they form a decent pack. I really preferred LLL though, a lot of these levels just seemed, too...weird. They lacked the solid mechanics and aesthetics that many of your other maps have, and seemed to cling onto a clever storyline. Gratz for that, but I think the levels themselves just don't pull much weight.
Thats why they're in a pack. Palemoon knows better then to post some of the filler maps on Numa. They're all here together to be /judged/ together, hence the plot and ongoing theme.

and so it goes, and so it goes, and so will you soon i suppose.
- Billy Joel

Antagonistic Fencesitter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/KinGAleX

Postby KinGAleX » 2009.07.19 (15:10)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the epitome of map creation for N v1.4. I've honestly never had such an enthralling game experience in my entire life. Something of this scope has been attempted in the past in, for example, The Epic, but anything with a real story or concept behind it, even other map packs with one unifying concept, has never come so close to what I desire for pure joy in my gaming.

We'll start with the story. I love stories. I'm sure anyone who knows about my music taste, the music I write, and the television shows, books, and movies I enjoy generally come down to some sort of a long, drawn out, overarching storyline or two. Basically the more epicker the betterer. MRDR, to me, was like a television show, in that you provided such small installments of the story every step, but it ended up spanning hours of screen time, metaphorically, to tell the whole story. I'd not consider this feature length: this is saga length. That's why I love stories; why I love this story is simple: it's an average bildungsroman artfully driven by technological concepts, and although the storyline is predictable and plot twists are quite natural and obvious, this does the pack itself justice, as the movement from one map to the next was a clear progression, and never jarred or wavered. It was consistent with narrative traditions that have been around for yonks, but in an entirely new setting and with an entirely new vehicle.

These, the setting and vehicle, were so easily translatable into the N Editor, in a purely aesthetic sense, as well as in a mechanical sense, impossible without the various objects and enemies that make up this fantastic game we play. The setting, obviously, is technology and ideas mostly related to computers and data systems, on some level, and the vehicle a strange sort of metagame, where you're being transferred from the computer world within the game inside the map pack, which you're playing with N, to the game itself inside the map pack inside your game. Blurring these lines creates a wonderful sense of surrealism for the player, as it's so much easier to find yourself immersed in the glorious world of MRDR, due to one's ability to draw immediate parallels with the ninja character (Westley), as well as the metaplayer (Fred Savage), the supposed entity controlling the ninja, only one level up from the story. Following on from my original point, the technological concepts explored are so easily translatable into both tilesets and objects, but never done so masterfully as the examples I see here. Themes, repeated often, but not too often, become apparent about a quarter of the way through the pack, and you start to get ready for the types of gameplay you can expect from the next title in the Cyberghost series, for instance. I could talk for hours about the way PALEMOON's tileset style lends him an ability to create exactly the right feel for the world he's created in this pack, but I think that can go unexpounded.

I strayed from the original point of that last paragraph too easily, showing even myself, writing of this pack, how well its creation combines story, gameplay, metagameplay, metastories, technology, and metatechnology; representations of every possible aspect of this pack blend together like bird shit and the roof of a white '90s Pulsar hatch, leaving me no option but to accidentally digress from talking about the use of concepts in the aesthetics to how this affects the gameplay and what that did to the story. And I mean this as an absolute compliment. For me to not be able to pick apart each individual component at will and bitch about what I didn't like about it, as I'm wont to attempt, is a godsend. I therefore cannot help but think that what really makes these maps great is the synergy created between all the aspects, down to the smallest of details, which really allows it to transcend a regular map pack's intentions and outcomes, and hit me so hard as a masterpiece.

On a base level, this is a collection of PALEMOON maps, made with some unifying concepts and an unwritten story hinted at by titles and possible interpretations of gameplay events. Maybe a seventh of the maps are throwaway garbage in any context other than that in which they are presented. You could look at the pack from an extremely close-minded point of view and say, "Hey, this is a bunch of generally white-aread maps with abundant chainguns and similar aesthetic stylings among them." That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. But coming from my own point of view, where I'm personally interested in the grand scheme of this project, the concept as a whole, and the beauty in which it's been executed, regardless of whether I don't particularly love his aesthetic choices in general as a mapmaker, a moot point, since the brilliant construction of the pack outshines my need to nitpick, I will forever appreciate this as, I reiterate, the epitome of mapping for N. This is it guys. I am stating that, in my opinion, this will not be trumped. Fucking bravo, PALEMOON. PM me with your free Custom Title request.
* Sig provided by Steve.
* Avatar manufactured by LittleViking.
More relevant images!

spect - There are more posts like this and it's like posting "I don't have any pie." in a Pie Forum.

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Pheidippides » 2009.07.19 (15:45)

After reading KinGAleX's post, wow. I've gotta play this. Maybe I'll bring it on vacation with me.
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Jedi Pimp

Postby toasters » 2009.07.22 (22:56)

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/kiaora
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby mintnut » 2009.07.25 (09:01)

: O

I don't see how I can ever make a map pack now. This thing is overshadowing everything like Sauron over Mordor. So so brilliant. I agree with KinGAleX.

<3

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2009.07.25 (18:17)

After reading what KA said, I decided to play it. Jeeeesssuuusss man, this mappack is the shit. Two fantastic mappacks I've played in a row (yours and evil_bob's).

I'm definitely archiving this for future play.

Dance Dance Revolution Android
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ChaoStar
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby ChaoStar » 2009.07.26 (22:39)

<ChaoStar> After playing MRDR, I have lost all faith in my mapping skills.

Postby ethel » 2009.08.27 (03:46)

I dont have the patience to play through all these unfortunately. Although overall I think losttaters was equal if not better from what I played, certain maps are simply brilliant. I ask that you add all the BOSS maps to NUMA, since those were definitely my favorite. I also agree with KA that that's the coolest story ever achieved in a series/pack. You outdid yourself again bro.

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby DarkN » 2009.08.29 (08:20)

mintnut wrote:: O

I don't see how I can ever make a map pack now. This thing is overshadowing everything like Sauron over Mordor. So so brilliant. I agree with KinGAleX.

<3
Creepy.... I read that post just as I was watching LOTR.
But back on topic, I loved this. Far from what mintnut said, this has actually inspired me to try and tackle this on my own. Overalll, excellently done. I especially loved the progression of "you do not control the wired" onward, as Leaff said.
...Yeah, most of this has already been said, but I felt the need to reiterate. Awesome. \m/
n: the legacy is now at Season 2, Episode 54. HEY LOOK, A DRAMATIC CUT OFF, also I updated this on time.
Coming Soon eventually
previous sigs

shameless self promotion

check mah geeky blog: http://shadowpwn.blogspot.com

gratuitous quotes

Do not be that giant treadmill that feeds donuts to the hell troll.
~SlappyMcGee

There really isn't any more I can say other than awesome vine-swinging bunny is awesome.
~Ignate

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIT SON. YOU JUST GOT TIZZOLD, SLIPPY MAC ADDICT GEE.
~Ampersand

Clearly we need to run a campaign in schools to educate teens on the many benefits of homosexuality.
~Atilla

Okay guys, please speak up now if you /are/ a paedophile. I promise I won't laugh.
~MattKestrel

By a complete fluke, God created the universe, and all within it.
~Universezero