Carologue

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Pheidippides » 2010.12.21 (17:00)

A traveler's Christmas.

My feelings about this pack have changed so much and so often that I really don't know what to say other than the basics: Carologue is the last in a set of non-episodic map packs that includes Monologue and Dialogue. It contains eighteen maps and one year of my life. In that year, I devoted to it considerable time and energy of all kinds in the hopes that I would see your bright little faces light up on Christmas morning, but whether this pack is the new favorite toy you play with until it breaks or that ugly sweater from your grandma is up to you.

Enjoy, guys. Merry Christmas.
Attachments
Carologue.txt
A traveler's Christmas.
(31.05 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Eleven Squared
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/nevershine

Postby nevershine » 2010.12.21 (18:16)

I like this toy quite a bit. Felt like it had a bit too many banner- or image-like maps, but overall I think it was very solid. Punk Rock Princess for the win.

<~blue_tetris> First off, making a game and calling it the sequel to Tetris is like making "Butter 2: Revenge of Butter".
<~blue_tetris> And it's actually margarine.

Subterranean Engineer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Izzy
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Izzy » 2010.12.21 (18:37)

I hate the Seamus Heaney reference, but it was fun to play around in :X. :D

Your tiles are sex.
Derived from ksktorngsig!
I don't think the universe has infinite material though, unless God makes DLC packs. - SkyPanda

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.12.21 (19:26)

00: Elegant tiles and perfect gameplay. Episodic, if not terribly replayable. 5aved.
01: "In full view, that's among the most beautiful things I've ever seen in N." 5aved.
02: Trademark Pheidi. Charming tiles that create a unique landscape, reasonably linear gameplay with little twists and pinpoint enemies. 5aved.
03: Same as previous. You've got an immediately effective enemy, a tileset so interesting it might as well be alive and several awesome pockets of action. On top of that, you threw in some freeform elements and spiked the difficulty. 5aved.
04: Another fabulous, whimsical tileset. And you pulled off something only the best mappers do often, which is allow roving enemies to become more difficult to pass as time ticks away. Good pathing of some truly fucking ferocious chains. 5aved.
05: Fun, fun map. Smooth and swoopy. Once again the tileset and structure perfectly fit the atmosphere you created. 5aved.
06: I've seen that hair before! Filler but still obviously had thought put into it. 5aved.
07: My least favorite so far, but I appreciate what you were trying to do. I hesitate to penalize because I could never quite find the flow, but I did feel that parts were unnecessarily precise. 4
08: This was great fun, and superbly tiled of course, but I never hit a spot where I was threatened by both lasers at once, and I thought that might have been more interesting. As it is, the action was a bit stop-and-go, so I never felt threatened. 5
09: Much more difficult (or annoying) than it looked. Tiles didn't bowl me over like usual but I suspect that's because I had seen them before. (Thought: shouldn't this have been a Valentine's Day pack?) 5aved.
10: I got a super-slick AGD of this map, which no doubt added to love for it. Great tiles and intricate gameplay within them. The far-right section I thought didn't have as many options as the rest did, but that's a small quibble. 5aved.
11: Best map yet, excellent tiles. And once again, the enemies got more interesting the longer I took; the left gauss/laser area was one of the coolest action sequences I've ever seen. On my fastest run, as I flew over the octagon toward the exit, one of the lasers incredibly nailed me through the 5-tile gap between the "hand" and the "umbrella." 5aved.
12: Did everything right with this map, gameplay- and aesthetics-wise. Loved it, especially the gold room. This is getting old, but 5aved.
13: Another masterpiece. Things I loved about this include: taking risky, arching jumps that usually lead to my feet being cut off; the lighthouse aspect of the tiles; how it took forever to get all the gold up top because of perfect lasers; and finally, how the lighthouse was incorporated into the map instead of being dead space. 5aved.
14: Good simple action map. Again the tileset is woven into the map with no awkwardness. 5aved.
15: Neat idea, with somewhat original execution. However, the middle room didn't play all that well going up or coming down. Enemy choice caused a lot of pauses. 4
16: Liked the switches, liked the gold, loved the right side tileset -- but hated being chased into those spikes by drones. 5aved.
17: Perfect finish. Emblematic of Carologue in so many ways. Rocket followed me everywhere. 5aved.

This pack ought to be required playing for all new mappers. Merry Christmas and thanks for creating this gem.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Plus (Size) Member

Postby njitsu » 2010.12.24 (06:29)

Nice.

is it Feh-dip-uh-deez or Fay-duh-peedz or Fie-duh-pyds or what?
mapping since '06
-+- njitsu -+-

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/squibbles
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby squibbles » 2010.12.24 (09:12)

njitsu wrote:Nice.

Fey-dip-eh-deez
spoiler

Nmaps.net

Tsukatu wrote:I don't know what it is, squibbles, but my brain keeps inserting "black" into random parts of your posts these days.
I totally just read that as, "I'd hate to be the only black guy stuck using v1.4."
[/ispoiler]

Phei Phei Pho Phum

Postby Pheidippides » 2010.12.24 (19:03)

squibbles wrote:

Fey-dip-eh-deez
I think that's the proper pronunciation, but I say Feh-dip-eh-deez. Fee-dip-eh-deez is also acceptable. It seems "almost" counts as much in pronouncing my name as in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Also, glad you like the pack, guys!

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2010.12.24 (22:30)

Pheidippides wrote:
squibbles wrote:

Fey-dip-eh-deez
I think that's the proper pronunciation, but I say Feh-dip-eh-deez. Fee-dip-eh-deez is also acceptable. It seems "almost" counts as much in pronouncing my name as in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Also, glad you like the pack, guys!
can I pronounce it Fey-Dee-Peh-des?

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.12.24 (23:53)

I've never understood why no one can pronounce Pheidippides. It's a real name with real pronunciation.

(NB: Wikipedia says, "sometimes given as Phidippides," which should help seeing as it's slightly more phonetic.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

With a cow, closer than you think.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/krusch
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby krusch » 2010.12.26 (04:24)

You're quite the romantic. <3

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2011.07.20 (02:33)

I'm almost positive I've played this, but I didn't give feedback. Silly me.
  • 00: And I've Become... >> While the chaser did nothing but look pleasing, I enjoyed the rocket area.
  • 01: Carol... >> Nobody will ever be as good of a tile typographer as you are. Seemless integration.
  • 02: Copperwire Blossoms >> Looked better than it played, to be honest. The launchpad/bounceblock part was bland, and what's with the locked door on the oneways?
  • 03: Every Damn Morning, Deepsea Exploring >> This map was the wrong type of difficult. The one where I'd beat up my laptop for getting sniped.
  • 04: Feel Like Rain >> This comparison may fall on deaf ears, but her hair reminds me of Jesse from Pokémon. I played this one on NUMA.
  • 05: Garage Band King >> You didn't know this, but I once tried to retile this map. Didn't work out. Played on NUMA as well.
  • 06: Grandeur and Frivolity >> Elegant map. Everything in its right place. Not that replayable though.
  • 07: I'll Dig with It >> Races aren't my favorite maps. I had a hard time with this one.
  • 08: In the Cold You Look So Fierce >> Dual lasers are usually my favorite type of map, and this one didn't disappoint.
  • 09: Obligatory Ice-Skating Scene >> The gausses were too powerful and the drones were too protective. I couldn't enjoy it.
  • 10: Ogue...? >> This one was just drawn out. It didn't need to be as long as it was.
  • 11: Please Let Me Heal You! >> This one didn't fit in with the theme, but I really liked it. Userlevel'd.
  • 12: Punk Rock Princess >> Decent map. The drone was rather dull, and some extra gold would've been nice.
  • 13: Signalman >> While I liked the idea of the top section, the drones were too much to juggle.
  • 14: The Earliest of Auroras >> Wow, this was much more fun than I thought it would be. The drones' paths were perfect, and the gausses were deadly enough to be kept in.
  • 15: This Age >> I didn't like it that much. The laser was easy to bypass, and the drones were...too static. Maybe if it had been a rocket.
  • 16: Was This My Father's England? >> That one mine below the bounceblock was the death of me. It was all good except for that.
  • 17: ...What You Became to Me. >> Really nice closer. The rocket was very ominous, and the drones were fun to dodge.
I hope you appreciate these demos. I worked really hard on them. :)
caralogue-demos.txt
(45.35 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Phei Phei Pho Phum

Postby Pheidippides » 2011.07.20 (03:38)

Nice demos. I particularly enjoyed your close calls on 13 (where you basically jumped off a laser} and 16 (where I thought for sure those two gausses would pin you). Your opening on 17 was pretty cool too. I'm glad to see someone put as much time into playing these as I did. :)

Oh, and that locked door over the one ways in 02? It's for going faster. ;)

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/al__cair__raheakallan

Postby chocollama » 2011.07.20 (22:13)

Fee - Dip - Peeds. I win. :D

EDIT: Haha, I forgot why I looked at this is the first place. Great job Phedi, it's probably my favorite pack ever.