j.e.t.s.a.m.

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Pheidippides » 2011.09.01 (03:59)

The f.l.o.a.t. abandonment.

A while back, some of you asked me on IRC what my last signature was all about. Unfortunately, I'm only here to tell you what it was /supposed/ to be all about - f.l.o.a.t. has sunk. Welcome to j.e.t.s.a.m., the abandonment.

Originally, f.l.o.a.t. was to be a new Solis Team mappack: For Lack Of A Title. It was going to be a big episodic undertaking, akin to Twilight, but even better; epigone and I were several years older and wiser, and we had new blood in Riobe and heatwave. New frontiers were coming into view, and I was in the crow's nest shouting, "Land! Land ho!" I was excited. But the project fell through. Twice, actually.

There were no whisperings the first time; we simply agreed that no one had the time to work on it, and that someday we'd have the chance to get it done. I had a few maps stored up then, but they trickled onto NUMA with little fanfare. So it goes.

I tried to get the project going again earlier this summer, but a team effort just wasn't in the cards. So I tried shouldering the project myself. Several months and seven maps later, here I am. I just don't think I can do it anymore. I'm out of inspiration and, what's worse, out of interest. I don't feel compelled to map anymore. If, someday, the mood strikes and I open Ned and - here's the hard part - I produce something I'm actually pleased with, you'll hear about it. I'm much too attached to this place to pretend I'm all-out retiring any time soon.

Still, the fact remains that I /am/ fading. You've already been seeing less and less of me; I don't post that much, I'm rarely on IRC, and so on and so forth. My fifth anniversary on the forums was almost two weeks ago, and I had completely forgotten about it until I sat down to write this post. I think that illustrates my point pretty well.

At this point - to revisit and completely confuse my previous metaphor - I'm itching to get back out to sea, to get back in that crow's nest, and to find new lands to get excited about. My stay in Port Metanet has been wonderful, to say the least, and you can be sure I'll be back if I ever tire of the wind and waves of the real world. Gosh, now it sounds like I'm actually leaving. Am I? I feel like I don't even know. But the ship is ready. Untie the moorings! Hoist the sails!

Bring me that horizon.

---

Like I said, seven maps. Oh, and j.e.t.s.a.m.? Justifying Efforts Through Some Abandoned Maps. Enjoy, guys.
Attachments
jetsam.txt
The f.l.o.a.t. abandonment.
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Phei Phei Pho Phum

Postby Pheidippides » 2011.09.01 (04:00)

P.S. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do about this community. Maybe this will just be a leave of absence; it's happened before. Then again, maybe it's time I ended up either semi-retired like Lenny, transcendent and omnipresent like Blizz, or gone with the wind like so many others. I'm torn because I have loved every minute of my time at Metanet, but I know that I'm doomed to outgrow it someday. You guys have been amazing these past five-plus years, but I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. Now I'm rambling. I guess you guys have the floor. Just no goodbye posts, please. That would be much too final.

Much, Much Love,
Pheidi

Intel 80486
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epigone

Postby epigone » 2011.09.01 (15:21)

For what it's worth, I wish we all could have found time to make this happen. But when you are a crusty old vets of N like pheidi and myself, you soon realize that it's hard to make time for a game that even once used to be a great passion 5-6 years ago. I played this game as a high schooler, and peaked maybe when I was 18-19 years old. Now I've graduated from university and I have a full-time job. I can't promise that I'll ever map again either, but you never know. Old habits die hard. I still check NUMA on a semi-weekly basis, if for no other reason than to see that people still play and comment on my old maps, which pleases me greatly. I don't think I'll ever completely part ways with N, NUMA, and the Metanet community. Too many good times.
Member of the Metanet Forum community since June 3rd, 2006.

The Best of Epigone

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2011.09.01 (20:29)

Don't forget you two. This community has spread to many other parts of the Internet. Facebook, last.fm, reddit, and several others. Just because you have lost interest in the game doesn't mean you've lost interest with the community. Keeping in touch with us isn't that hard if you know where to look. And while I do love a good Pheidi map every now and then (or a clever epigone map), NUMA is a self-sustaining website now. Crusty old vets like yourselves are always welcome (maximo, come baaaaaack!), though you shouldn't feel obliged to stick around. That being said, here are some comments on the maps.
  • 00: Antimony Eyes >> Nothing too outstanding for this. You could've had a nice laser timer on the bottom run, since it's unnecessary as it is.
  • 01: Bloon Platoon >> Symmetrical was not the way to go with this map. Would've been much better with different bloon positions.
  • 02: D-Cluster Complete >> If there were tiles on the right side I would like this map much more.
  • 03: Impossible City of Lights >> This looked amazing, but the enemies ruined any fun I might've had.
  • 04: Styrene Rings, Among Other Things >> I rather liked this. The gold was cool, and the gauss was well-placed. The floorguard was too bothersome though.
  • 05: Unarticulated Crude >> You almost made a Riobe map, but didn't bother improving the gameplay.
  • 06: Where There's Gold... >> The rocket and the gauss didn't do enough to add to the level. The chaingun was enough.
Demos:
Attachments
jetsam-demos.txt
(14.73 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Phei Phei Pho Phum

Postby Pheidippides » 2011.09.02 (03:46)

epigone wrote:For what it's worth, I wish we all could have found time to make this happen. But when you are a crusty old vets of N like pheidi and myself, you soon realize that it's hard to make time for a game that even once used to be a great passion 5-6 years ago. I played this game as a high schooler, and peaked maybe when I was 18-19 years old. Now I've graduated from university and I have a full-time job. I can't promise that I'll ever map again either, but you never know. Old habits die hard. I still check NUMA on a semi-weekly basis, if for no other reason than to see that people still play and comment on my old maps, which pleases me greatly. I don't think I'll ever completely part ways with N, NUMA, and the Metanet community. Too many good times.
Man, this is why we work so well together. I couldn't have said any of that better myself. I tried in my first two posts, and clearly came up short.

Thanks for the comments, Aidiera. It feels surprisingly okay to be told I'm over the hill. :P And don't worry, I'll be around.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2011.09.02 (07:00)

I just want to say that I love both of you. :D

So much that I'm going to play this at 2 am though I've got an early section. And they may be the last maps I play for a month or two.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea