lvgen executable

Got a project? Want some help, ideas, advice, or just want to get the word out? This is your place.
Almost as Bad as One

Postby telamon » 2010.01.23 (16:48)

OK, so first of all, this is a fan program, and I couldn't really decide between this forum or the tech/programming forum based on the rules. So if this is in the wrong place, sorry about that.
Anyway, I just came back from a long hiatus of playing N and the level generator that littleviking made (dronie 09 nominee) struck me as being interesting. But because it was python code and therealn was down, it didn't exactly work on the web (at least for me it didn't). In addition, I wanted to be able to carry it around with me on my flash drive's N/fanprog suite. So I decided to port it to executable. I found a utility called py2exe that integrated with python and a while later, I had a simple executable.
I know very little python and I'm really bad at this, and although I have C++ experience, I learned this in the course of a few hours. So the source is going to be pretty poor style. The entire engine is directly from his program although I implemented some simple file io and console control to actually store the level somewhere.
So basically, you unpackage this to a folder and leave all the auxiliary files there (so don't rename or move anything, I don't know what happens if you move any of those side files). Run LVGen.exe. It will show you a map that it generated (using LV's code of course, so still no exit/doors) and then it will wait for the user to give it some input. This is just so you can take a look at the level before the program ends. Once you give it some input (anything goes), the program will write this level to output.txt (in the same folder as the program) and exit. WARNING: If you already have a file called output.txt in that folder with LVGen, it will completely overwrite so beware.
By the way, I did very little bugtesting on this; I can only confirm that it works with windows XP. Sorry to the people who use other OSs. You'll just have to try and see what happens.
Anyway, here's the zip package and source, tell me what you think!
Zip: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M25C7RRA
Original thread for this generator: http://forum.droni.es/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2361
Attachments
LVGen.py
source code
(298 Bytes) Downloaded 475 times