Memoirs -- 500 maps brought to you by almost 100 mapmakers.

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.11.07 (06:23)

Hey everyone. I would appreciate it if you read as much of this as you are physically capable of reading.

About four years ago ChaoStar and KlanKaos, two guys that are long gone from Metanet, had the idea to make a giant mappack to rival the Legacy Team. Now, in hindsight, rivaling the Legacy Team was both impossible and dumb. However, Memoirs -- formerly MoA -- did something almost as impressive. More than 85 mappers and judges came together and created 500 maps of often astonishing quality. It was a huge undertaking ... and it partially failed. It is not, after all, a mappack in its current form. It's 500 maps organized by author. This is partially my fault; the dozen or so attempts we've made at sorting the maps into a mappack proper have all fizzled out like the Republican Party's chances tonight. Only one or two of us from the original Memoirs planning etc. are still active at all, which is why it has fallen to me to edit and submit this.

However, this doesn't detract from the quality of the maps within. We have 500 fantastic maps. Every map in the pack was judged by at least 10 other experienced mappers, at least eight of whom had to deem it worthy for inclusion. Over 2500 maps were submitted; 81 percent were rejected. 81 percent. A lot of the rejected maps later appeared on NUMA with the tag moa-reject -- and a good number of the accepted maps also appeared, with the tag moa-accepted. Many of the rejected maps were superb. This should tell you something.

So attached here are the 19 percent that passed muster. Wow. These maps, guys. All are quality. Some are episodic, some are near-impossible; some are conceptual, some are relatively generic. This is intentional -- we consciously judged and mapped toward maps that fit into a mappack that never actually came to be. Oh well. It doesn't matter how you play these maps. A few list an episode when put in userlevels; ignore that, it's one of our many failed attempts to sort these fuckers. I suggest playing by author. Hell, if you play them at all I'll be pretty happy.

--

Some thanks are in order. First and foremost, sidke, without whom none of this would have happened. sidke created the site we used to rate and compile the submitted maps. He's done a lot more for this community than most of y'all realize. I have no idea where he is but I hope he sees this. Last I heard he was trekking across Mongolia (?). Next on the list, KlanKaos and ChaoStar, who tirelessly recruited mappers for the project, many of whom would have quit playing N a lot sooner if not for MoA. They got us started. A shout out also needs to go to Nexx, yungerkid, gloomp, squibbles and the other guys who sacrificed a lot of their time to attempt to sort these maps, and stuck with the project to (almost) the end. It didn't work, but thanks. Additionally, thanks to either LittleViking or Kablizzy for giving MoA its own planning subforum, and thanks to oughts for globaling this thread.

And naturally, the biggest thanks of all needs to go to the many mappers who participated and judged. See the first comment for a complete list.

This mapping project was intended to be so much more. At one point we had plans to contact M&R and incorporate it into v1.5. (And remember when we were going to mail T-shirts to people? Holy shit.) It sucks that this stuff didn't happen. But ultimately, I'm completely happy with what turned out. #moa et al. is what I'll remember most about my overlong time at Metanet. Thanks for everything, guys. We had fun and ended up with some fucking good maps, which I'm glad to present below.

Cheers,
flag

EDIT: Nov. 10; uploaded an updated text file which fixes an unplayable map or two. The amazing Nexx saved all of our edits in one static place, expediting the process.
Attachments
Memoirs-updated.txt
(769.48 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
Memoirs.txt
(768.71 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Last edited by otters~1 on 2012.11.10 (22:23), edited 6 times in total.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2012.11.07 (06:27)

wao~
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Postby otters~1 » 2012.11.07 (06:35)

Mappers and critiquers (judges have asterisks):

31415 [script]
Ad*
Amadeus [ganteka]
apakenua
aphex
apse
Blackson*
bobaganuesh_2
Brttrx
bufar
ChaoStar*
ChrisE
Conen
crescor
Daikenkai
Destiny
DiamondEye
Digitalduck
Drathmoore
dvip6
DW40
EdoI
el_devo
Erik-player
Ferox
fireburnsfree
ghoulash [flag]*
gloomp*
goatman
godless
GTM*
hooha2x2sday
kablamo
Kablizzy
karmap0lice
keninja
kkstrong
KlanKaos*
Kool-aid
Leaff*
Lightning55
LittleViking
lord_day
Losttortuga*
lsudny
mare
martyr
maxson924*
max_ride
maya [furry_ant]
MCKY
mintnut*
Mustardude
my_stro
Naczz
natrues_peril
Nexx*
Nick
notsteve
Nspired*
numa_ninja
oakstream
osiris
OutrightOJ*
PALEMOON*
Pheidippides
pikman*
Radium*
RandomDigits
Ratatat
Rhekatou
Riobe*
Rule
sept
seven_two*
sidke*
Skyline*
smort
southpaw*
squibbles*
sunset*
Theodore
toasters*
Tunco123
TV
Undeadpie
Viil
wumbla
yungerkid*

(If I'm forgetting some judges, someone let me know. Also, a lot of these mappers have more familiar NUMA usernames which I don't remember, so if you recognize someone, post a correction. Thanks.)
Last edited by otters~1 on 2012.11.10 (22:11), edited 3 times in total.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2012.11.07 (15:57)

just woke up and am kind of sick and don't have a plan for what i'm gonna write so apologies if this is a bit incoherent:

here's the funny thing about memoirs. it was originally planned, by chaostar, to be called memoirs of the ancients. thus "moa". he stuck with that for the entirety of the time he was running the project, despite no one else really liking it, myself certainly included. it's an ugly, clunky name, with weird phrasing, the sort of bland attempt at epicness that that plagues so many secretive projects started by teenagers. but beyond all that, the big reason i and most others didn't like it was much simpler; we aren't ancients, where the fuck are we getting off trying to act like we are? cs took in basically anyone who asked, and the only people who ask to be in projects like these are people trying to make a name for themselves, in general. that was certainly my aim, as someone who at the time had just started going on irc and had a great desire to climb the totem pole. basically, all of else felt like associating ourselves with some sort of idea of classic, venerated mapping was unbearably pretentious.

but that, of course, was four years ago (jesus, was it really the long? christ). that's the great joke of this thing. the process of making it and trying to organize it took so fucking long that the name came to fit better than i could have possibly imagined. the very, very newest maps in this pack are over a year old, made by people with years under their belts before that. these are maps by ancients, either forgotten or risen, which document an internet time now long past.

it feels very good to finally be able to just write out all of my thoughts surrounding moa, as best i can. it feels a bit silly to care this much for a collection of custom levels for a game no one plays anymore, but you know what, i don't care. this is my youth. these are the memories that will stay with me most fondly no matter where i end up going in life. i've spent more hours working with this pack and these people than i can possibly calculate. hours on irc, nearly every day, for years. i submitted 50 maps for this project. 9 got in. i played hundreds more, and often argued fiercely for or against them. i'm sure these people had a very real effect on the way i've matured. i probably wouldn't be writing this all in lowercase were it not for sidke, palemoon and the like, who taught me the beauty of a little informality. i probably wouldn't be writing this at all if not for flag's gorgeous post up there, and out of some need to try and communicate what baggage these 500 maps carry for me, a need that i know wouldn't exist if not for those hours of typing back and forth, late into the night.

i don't know. i'm not really one to spill my guts like this over anything, really. i've probably done a terrible job of it, too. but i guess what i want to get across to you, the strange wanderer that has stumbled into this thread some indeterminate time in the future, is this: play these maps. please, play these maps. these maps mean more to me than anything else i've participated in in my internet life. they aren't all great, i'm afraid, but they're all good. try to understand what they symbolise, even in this incomplete form.

Beyond a Perfect Math Score
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Nexx
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Nexx » 2012.11.07 (16:23)

Hear, hear, gloomp!

Thanks for finally publishing this, flag, even if it is still unsorted!

:D

Plus (Size) Member
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/player_03

Postby player_03 » 2012.11.07 (17:11)

Excellent work.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Tsukatu wrote:Now, making sure Caps Lock is ON, make sure that Caps Lock is on. Now that Caps Lock is actually on, check again to make sure that Caps Lock is on. Now press the P button. To play, make sure that Caps Lock is on.
Nmaps.net
!Reality

My achievements
My N video

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/amomentlikethis
MBTI Type: ESFP

Postby amomentlikethis » 2012.11.07 (17:22)

I successfully avoided a hype on N. That's quite an achievement.

I'll download this later. I've enjoyed a lot of the reject maps so I can only assume the maps inside are going to be amazing! Will review later.
Hi.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PALEMOON Bad Thread
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PALEMOON » 2012.11.07 (18:29)

It was a pretty damn good ride, all in all. We mapped a hell of a lot! I met a LOT of really cool people in #moa and i can honestly say that it was a a great time all the way through! At times like like i get all emotionalfblehhhaaahgnnh i'm not so great at writing emotional towerposts.

but yeah. Do what flag said and play them by author, you'll see all sorts of crazy stuff. Thanks to everybody who participated! :D flag gloomp aphex_n i dunno a whole bunch of people were all pretty defining in my sense of mapping and general internet personality. and don't forget sidke, don't forget him like i've never forgotten his touch on that night when he woke me from slumber. we snuck out of my parents house in the teen summers and went to meadows and lost prairies in the morning light. I yearned for something more, and i knew it was sidke who could gie it to me as we walked for what seemed liek eternity. then he pulled out his dick. anyway yeah i loved it you guys and i hope other people like the maps!
Last edited by PALEMOON on 2012.11.07 (18:48), edited 1 time in total.

Raigan and the Horse-Woman
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/sidke
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/shagdish

Postby sidke » 2012.11.07 (18:43)

gloomp's and flag's posts inspired me to write a tower, too.

i am glad this has finally been released.
this is the semi-inspirational part i guess where i explain something that happened to me because of moa. that is if it weren't for this project here i probably wouldn't have found a career in software development. so fuck yeah, go moa group.

everyone on that list put a lot of effort into this pack, so definitely do play. i haven't opened n for a very long time, but i'll be doing so again specifically for this.

i can barely remember how it started, cs inviting me to participate in a mappack. this is back when his gender was ambiguous, way before uz got heartbroken. we opened up a subforum, then gloomp and i preemptively took #moa on irc before cs did. we had no real way for a private peer review system, we were trying to use the forums as one map per thread. god it was horribly clunky. i said to kk i could probably write something up to help us manage and judge maps, so i did as such over a weekend. oh man. ganteka and inspired on irc. i can't even remember what they did but how they annoyed everyone. or maybe just me. oh god all the powertripping for people with ops, and cs, when he still had the power to on the site, making people judges all willy nilly without some form of democracy OH GOD IT'S ALL COMING BACK NOW THE ENDLESS ARGUMENTS ABOUT HOW TO RUN THE PACK AND HOW I INJECTED MYSELF INTO THE GOVERNMENT TO GIVE PEOPLE A VOICE AGAINST THE EVIL DICTATOR CHAOSTAR JUDGES BECAME REPRESENTATIVES OF THE PEOPLE AND VOTING WAS MADE POSSIBLE CS GOT DETHRONED AND THEN MADE A FIT AND QUIT FOR A BIT OR SOMETHING WOW i hope we have irc logs for the entire thing because now that i think of it, it would probably make for an interesting albeit slow read. oh man and then the system put it to not reveal a mapper's name until it was fully judged because people were saying that people were voting in based on author instead of quality. jesus this pack was some sick, twisted psychological experiment. but it wasn't without its extremely good moments. i met and became friends with quite a few people through this. leaff is the first to come to mind, i miss that guy :c riobe and kk, the bithbrothers. aphex, dave, and furry 'w' crescor, with whom i'd made plans to meet while in belgium but never did. toasty, maxson, lt. also i have to mention sunset or he will get sad. and palemoon with his glistening body, i knew from the moment i saw him i would not be able to contain myself. that first day together in the grassy hills, still moist from the morning dew. we had escaped his parents house the night prior and slept under the stars. i swear they had never been so plentiful and bright. today, he was going to take me to a place he knew, somewhere by the river. it was a long walk, but as long as is it was with palemoon, i would walk for an eternity. woops, kinda veered off topic there. anyways, this pack and its people mean a lot to me, regardless of how i am towards metanet nowadays. everyone i've interacted with has affected me in some way, no matter how small, and this is certainly one of the most defining things my internet self has partaken in.

thanks moa~
spoiler

辻菜摘が好きじゃー ヽ(´ー`)ノ sig by peking duck

Postby otters~1 » 2012.11.07 (19:30)

Now they come crawling out of the woodwork.

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby 29403 » 2012.11.07 (20:09)

Excellent news. Memories of '09 crawl back too. :D

Glad my map made it to 72-2 as well. :P
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Sunset » 2012.11.07 (21:40)

Oh yes.

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/OutrightOJ

Postby OutrightOJ » 2012.11.07 (22:00)

I gotta say, my thanks to flag for being the one who introduced me to MoA, and who thus made me part of one of the truly great accomplishments the community's achieved. It is a shame that these beauts didn't get into V1.5 but regardless of that it's still awe-inspiring that something as large-scale as this was even embarked upon, let alone successfully completed. Thanks to all you guys who were involved in the project, and congrats. :)

Also for the record I was a judge in the later stages of the project, if that counts. ^^

Thanks to furry for this awesome sig. He likes birds, he does.
FIRST EVER COMIC STRIP! Using Paint. <3 <CLICK>

NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/godless
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Godless » 2012.11.07 (23:05)

Is that a list of mappers who were accepted? Or just who are included in the pack?
--

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/script

Postby Scrivener » 2012.11.08 (01:44)

Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved! I won't towerpost because I wasn't very involved, but I do want you all to know how much shit like this means to me. I don't talk to you guys a lot and that's mostly because of my stupidly busy high school, but this community is full of creative, inspiring, generally awesome people, and I'm proud to be a some small part of Metanet and MoA. Now, I'm not going to use preterition, and I'm not going to mention how talking to many of you guys on irc helped me through depression and many formative experiences, so I don't have much else to say. You guys are the best; stay classy, Metanet!

Also, could the name 31415 be changed to script?
Last edited by Scrivener on 2012.11.09 (20:24), edited 1 time in total.
spoiler

<Uuni> i dont see the escape in religion

Postby otters~1 » 2012.11.08 (01:56)

Godless wrote:Is that a list of mappers who were accepted? Or just who are included in the pack?
It is a comprehensive list, because many of the mappers who never submitted a map or never had a map accepted gave helpful critiques or judged numerous maps. lord_day and LittleViking being prime examples.

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Erik-Player :://[[];lg
MBTI Type: ISFP

Postby Erik-Player » 2012.11.09 (06:11)

Wait, four years?!?! For fuck's sake, good god. Maybe now that I'm old I should actually do something. I hate how back then I was an ignorant little kid; well I actually still am, just not as little. Now, I can't write tower posts because I'm not cool enough to not capitalize anything wait let's try this

so i'm actually really proud of my three maps that got in. they were all made maybe '09. possibly 2010. i was actually a judge for a little while, but with the same exact fucking thing that i did years ago (i seriously need something new to do in my life), i didn't have enough time to get online every night to rate maps. i mean, good god, people just spewed them out of nowhere! and i liked being critical with everything i said, so that's what really sucked all my time and eventually just stopped judging and didn't even say anything. i'm just so anti-social. while i'm peeking out of my shell and actually saying stuff again after years, gloomp, you're the coolest kid around, and have been ever since i joined whenever years ago. maybe like five years. i've known so many great people on here, but i never talked to them enough. people left, and that sucked. and also, back then, i was just some little kid; who wants to talk to that? maybe i could list all of them: lord_day you were my prominent inspiration back in the day that isn't so back in the day really, losttortuga you've made a bunch of pretty fucking great maps too, yahoozy oh heavens how can a map you churn out not be good because oh you're yahoozy, skypanda you were always the cool chill mysterious dude, gloomp is most-podern, matt_kestral or whatever his latest name is was my right hand man for forever, riobe oh jesus i've mapped with him more than any other author and i actually thought our styles meshed so horribly yet we made some pretty great maps, spudzalot, maxson (rose) i actually don't even remember all the conversations we used to have; i wish i did, rocket_thumped, sidke you're just cool so whatever, palemoon you were always the coolest unconventional mapper, origami_alligator, skyline356 that picture on your profile on numa has been the coolest photo for years, mintnut kiaora you're what indirectly helped me get really into film photography. albeit there are a bunch of others you really helped out, shortshift shimsham shipshappattywhackgiveadogabone shortshaft shirtman schickquatro, chrise we've had some great talks and ideas and talks and stuff i really don't remember much but it was cool i'd think, yungerkid, flag i know i haven't submitted a map in over a year oh god sorry, GOOD GOD I CAN'T THINK OF EVERYBODY, but you get the point if you're actually still reading this, i have a million respects to give away. you guys are all great, so if you're cool with it, we should talk more and i should

stop not capitalizing letters it's hurting my eyes now. But if you get the point, then you got the point, I should do more around this place, and I really would love to hear from you guys again. I love you all.
are any of my friends still here

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2012.11.09 (12:52)

Thank you guys.
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maxson924

Postby Rose » 2012.11.09 (18:17)

I'm not going to towerpost, because if you've made it to this post, dear reader, then you've read enough as is.

But reading that list of people involved brought back a lot of memories and a fucking tsunami of nostalgia.

Also, gloomp described his emotions, so you know this is huge.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2012.11.10 (00:59)

Rose wrote:Also, gloomp described his emotions, so you know this is huge.
very true

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/eternal_moonlight
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby moonlight » 2012.11.10 (05:34)

Can't wait to play the pack. I am regretting not trying to be a part of this.

Postby otters~1 » 2012.11.10 (22:21)

I wasn't going to bother with the minuscule edits we had compiled to add after sorting, but it was brought to my attention (thanks Donfuy) that at least one of those edits made a map unplayable. So I'm uploading here an updated version (may not be the last) for your viewing pleasure. Also edited into the first post.

And a HUGE thanks to Nexx for bothering to repost all of our pastebin edits onto the site itself, thus saving them all from oblivion.
Attachments
Memoirs-updated.txt
(769.48 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

Beyond a Perfect Math Score
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Nexx

Postby Nexx » 2012.11.11 (21:36)

Thought that might come in handy. Glad I could help!

And thanks again, flag, for finally pushing this through!
Last edited by Nexx on 2012.11.13 (02:36), edited 1 time in total.

Radio Douchebag
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Rhekatou

Postby Rhekatou » 2012.11.11 (21:54)

Either I really suck at N now, or we had insanely difficult levels.

Nice job moa.

NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/sidke
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/shagdish

Postby sidke » 2012.12.08 (02:33)

i'd like to take this opportunity to let you fine sirs on a little secret

the moa site where we toiled away and sweated, bled, and prospered is now open to the public for general perusal

http://moa.droni.es/maps
spoiler

辻菜摘が好きじゃー ヽ(´ー`)ノ sig by peking duck